Entry into the year 2020, many final years and postgraduates students were looking forward to their graduation in summer 2020 where families and friends will join them in celebrating their achievements.
Suddenly, the nation is hit with coronavirus and lockdown set. No lectures, no exams, no going out and most graduation ceremonies are cancelled or moved to the end of the year. Students could not believe this is happening especially graduates looking forward to their 2020 graduation and looking forward to starting a job search.
Final year and postgraduate students start asking the questions, will they secure a job in 2020 or wait till 2021 and some students are having anxiety and fear they won’t secure a job. The answer to this question depends on the individual, what plan are they putting in place in applying for jobs and how are they enhancing their skills.
According to the Institute of students employers, the majority of companies have reduced the numbers of graduate intake for September 2020 while some are increasing numbers of intake. A research carried out by me identify;
- Prospects job website– Over 168 graduate schemes jobs are online during this COVID-19
- Target Job website- Over 13 companies still recruiting for graduate schemes.
This is POSITIVE news which shows despite the pandemic and crisis, some companies need to fill their vacant posts.
What are you doing to ensure you secure a job? Let’s review few things you can start working on.
- Have you updated your CV? This is not the time to procrastinate but rather a time of action to get your CV together. Ask your friends and family, to review it. Majorities of universities now have online CV checker that will score your CV and get instant feedback. Kindly remember to tailor your CV to a specific role.
- Career Plan- Do you know the career path you want after graduation, weakness and strength? If not, research and ask yourself what motivates you, what do you enjoy, contact a career advisor or talk to your mentor. This will enable you to start making applications and receiving feedback before the deadline.
- Learn a new skill– this is the time to enhance your skills by learning something new such as data analysis, be a content creator and learn a coding language. Start using your spare time each week. Some training is free on Udemy, Linkedin learning, edX etc.
- Network- Make sure you still connect to your network by keeping in touch via phone call, email or social media. They may refer you to job opportunities or contact you if their company is recruiting.
My final message is to remain POSITIVE and PRODUCTIVE during this lockdown. Preparation is the key to Success!
Graduate job website link:
Prospect Job– http://www.prospects.ac.uk/graduate-jobs
Target Jobs – https://targetjobs.co.uk/graduate-schemes